MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cheng Kit

Old Subang Airport pics before KLIA opened

I remember the rubber floors? With the circular bumps? And my MANY MANY flights on the MAS / SIA A300s/727-200s/737-200s...

Fokker Friendship F-27!!! :yahoo:

Yeah, common feature in buildings with ramps from the 60's and 70's. Reminds me of Super Kinta in Ipoh too :D Anyone have pictures of Kompleks Airtel FIMA?

:D Thats what I remembered too. I remembered the ramps really well and the viewing platform. I don't suppose the ramps are wheelchair accessible ramps :p If they are, then Subang was well ahead of others during her time.

I believe they were, as one would walk from the departure lounge down either a straight ramp or a spiral ramp and straight to the apron to where the aircrafts were parked. I'm refering to the 1970s...., but when the aerobridges were installed including the renovations, this part disappeared (demolished?!). Back then, arrival halls were (IIRC) Balai Tiba Utara and Balai Tiba Selatan....Selatan was for international arrival if I'm not mistaken, each with a circular baggage carousel. Then there was Bunga Raya lounge for VIP. In the third picture above, one could see a cluster of 'globes' suspended from the ceiling. These were bronze-coloured world time clocks with the middle globe advertising 'Rothman's' cigarettes!! Speaking of cigarettes, the restaurant there sold them at above market prices back then. Maybe air travellers then were rich and wouldn't mind paying extra.

At each end of the terminal building there were two staircases which led straight to the observation deck which had a semi-circular part complete with pay-per-use binoculars. The stairs are visible from Syed's first photo. Underneath this semi circular part is the spiral ramp.

The second picture showing hockey banner was taken in 1975.... I remember that time so vividly as I had a commemorative t-shirt of the event (other memorable sporting events during that time was Mohammed Ali vs Joe Bugner, where ringside tickets were sold for a princely sum of MY$1,000). The picture was most likely taken from the semi-circular part of the observation deck. One could absorb the smell and sound of planes from here, which was the most enjoyable part of plane spotting those days.

Oh yes, those black rubber flooring with raised polka dots (!). From period advertisments, they were made by Dunlop. For anti-slip properties I guess, which I think was a good idea.

I was told by an MAHB senior that the demolishment of T1 was done by a mat salleh company. Unfortunately nothing was left to remember this iconic building. Even the totem poles given by the people of Seattle as a gift of friendship to Malaysia and MAS for purchasing B737-200s are no where to be seen already. Or does anyone knows where they are now?

Edited by Rozhan

What I like about Subang Observation deck.... is you can spot the place very near.. and face the pilot espacially 747 is parking infornt on it....

I believe they were, as one would walk from the departure lounge down either a straight ramp or a spiral ramp and straight to the apron to where the aircrafts were parked. I'm refering to the 1970s...., but when the aerobridges were installed including the renovations, this part disappeared (demolished?!). [...]

One straight ramp was maintained even after the expansion, located approx. in the centre of the building. This was for F27/ F50 flights.

I remembered the ramps really well and the viewing platform. I don't suppose the ramps are wheelchair accessible ramps :p If they are, then Subang was well ahead of others during her time.

I believe the ramps are more for air travellers with trolleys / baggage

Louis, the P. Ramlee movie you mentioned is 'Sesudah Suboh', which also shows a Malaysian Airways Comet.

thanks rozhan :drinks: , and yeah , the comet :D

It appears that only 7 of the aerobridges at the left could be used by widebodies. Were those enough to handle widebodies back then? Did T1 use airstairs like other T2/T3 used to be?

So sad that I never got the chances to use T1...and won't ever again... :( :( :sorry: :sorry:

Quite a number of widebody aircraft had to be parked at the cargo area, and pax were bussed to/from the terminal.

In the late evenings, you can also see how the many 737s were creatively parked overnite in between T2 and T1.

Quite a number of widebody aircraft had to be parked at the cargo area, and pax were bussed to/from the terminal.

In the late evenings, you can also see how the many 737s were creatively parked overnite in between T2 and T1.

Yup... I remember I had to board a 747 by bus from T1 back in '97. the MH's 74 was on the cargo apron (near Transmile now)

Since there were only limited number of buses, they've to ply in several trips to/fro T1&cargo apron

and I boarded the last bus in the last trip... Aircraft began taxi while I was still looking for my seat... we were delayed by almost

an hour due to the bus trips...

My memory of the spiral ramp... After arriving from BKI on MH DC10 (it was originated from Seoul),

Some South Korean after been on 2.5-Hour non-smoking sector, they started to lit their cigarettes while

walking towards the ramp, under the aircraft wing... :angry:

What a racket when the guards start shouting at them to dose the light, near the engine #1... hehehe

--

Nice memories guys for those who are veteran in this area..I don't have any good memories at SZB T1 terminal because I just small boy during that time..The only thing that still in my mind the huge board show arrive and departure flight..

The T1 aerobridge still around Malaysia..If I not mistaken, 2 of it at Kota Bahru some at Sibu airport..Base on what saw from airliners.net picture..

But most of time during that time I spent at T3 terminal because my dad work there before..I enjoy watching small domestic aircraft from the window panel..The most wonderful time during my childhood time was when my dad took me to the T3 airport while his on duty,I stand in front of the window as long as I could and I really appreciate that moment, dont want to miss even a second..Sometimes I ask my mom to bring me there..We took Srijaya bas num 47 from KL to Subang Airport..

Honestly I bit disappoint with a dissension to demolish the T1 terminal..Not even any landmark left as what Mr. Rozhan mention..

I remember my first trip to Dubai on Emirates...

SZB (KUL) -> DXB

A310

good times.

I believe they were, as one would walk from the departure lounge down either a straight ramp or a spiral ramp and straight to the apron to where the aircrafts were parked. I'm refering to the 1970s...., but when the aerobridges were installed including the renovations, this part disappeared (demolished?!). Back then, arrival halls were (IIRC) Balai Tiba Utara and Balai Tiba Selatan....Selatan was for international arrival if I'm not mistaken, each with a circular baggage carousel. Then there was Bunga Raya lounge for VIP. In the third picture above, one could see a cluster of 'globes' suspended from the ceiling. These were bronze-coloured world time clocks with the middle globe advertising 'Rothman's' cigarettes!! Speaking of cigarettes, the restaurant there sold them at above market prices back then. Maybe air travellers then were rich and wouldn't mind paying extra.

I think they are not really wheelchair accessible judging by the fact that the cure "landing" is still on gradient. For wheelchair accessible ramps, you will need a flat landing. Gradient of the ramp should not be steeper than 1 in 12m (in NZ) or 1 in 14m (in Aust.). From the pic the ramp seems a bit steep as you rise up to 3m from a relatively short ramp. :unknw:

Thanks Rozhan, indeed it was Polka Dots which were originated by Dunlop. They are still being manufactured today, but not exclusively by Dunlop anymore. In Australia, we need to incorporate such dots, known as Tactile Indicators, at the top and bottom landing of each accessible staircase and street pedestrian crossing near traffic lights and any designated pedestrian crossings :)

There used to be a world clock section in Changi Airport as well (Terminal 1) as well as far as I can remember and they are sponsored by Citizen.

I remembered Subang used to have two fires which burnt down one of her wings where Gate 1 to 8 used to be (not the part towards T2). Coming back or departing from Auckland, we are always slotted into Gate 1-4 for the DC-10s or 747-400s. When we arrived from HKG, we always docked between Gate 7-14, it seems. I remember in 1998 just before the opening of KLIA, when I arrived from Fukuoka in MAS' A330-300. We had to sit and wait for 30 mins in the plane which parked at the taxiway for the aircraft in our gate to vacate. Subang was really jammed pack back then. :D Apart from that, I used to see Síngapore Airlines' A340-313X, B747-200/300/400 parked at Terminal 2 when T2 became a terminal for flights within South East Asia. SIA's B757-200 and Air NZ 767-200/300 were also seen in Subang. Good times back then.

Edited by S V Choong

Went back to my mum's place ...

and searched old albums...

and look what I found... :blink:

:yahoo:

SZB01.jpg

Shot was taken on the circular viewing deck sometime in 67 or 68 (can't remember...)

thus... still new airport at that time ....

Me?... hehehe... of course the one looking at airplanes on the tarmac...

More photos from the same 'spotting' visit...

There was a long semi circular concrete bench for non-spotters to seat while waiting for spotters... heheh

SZB02.jpg

On the steps leading to main terminal from the car park...

SZB04.jpg

My mum & bro in front of our family car ...

the stair to the upper deck can be seen on the background...

szb03.jpg

and guessed what.... I found an old vinyl record (LP size)...

the songs not important... but the sleeve cover...

SZB05.jpg

next ... the aircraft photos that I found...

Wow, Norman, very nostalgic pictures. Very P. Ramlee-ish.

Thanks in advance (for the coming pictures too)

Great set of pictures there Norman. I have some similar family shots too, but too malu to post here :D Was sending parents who boarded an MSA 737-100 to Paya Lebar, Singapura.

I guess Subang was where some of us here got an interest in aviation. The view from the circular deck those days were awesome........piercing engine sounds of DC8s, 707s and Jet-A1 fumes!

Very interesting thread, and thanks a lot for sharing these nostalgic pictures !!! :drinks:

Good to see, KLM has never forsaken on serving KUL :pardon:

i think it time we open old spotting picture in Malaysia thread.. Norman sure had lot of them.

Nice picture Norman. and it well keep. :good:

Thank for sharing with us. :drinks:

Edited by Ibrahim

WoWoW Uncle Nice old school pictures.. :lol: :good: :lol:

Its something not all of us have and keep it..

Like Baim say, may be we can create new topic for old days memory gallery here..hehehe..

Thanks Uncle for sharing..I waiting upcoming picture from you..

Sign in to follow this