MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Cheng Kit

Old Subang Airport pics before KLIA opened

Can anybody please show some of the Subang Airport old pictures before KLIA opened

I think I've posted this picture before but hey! :D

DSC00679.jpg?t=1220927742

Hope you don't mind the B&W though. This is all I have in my PC. B) I'm sure our fellow MWingers have a few to share too. :clapping:

Cheers!

I believe it is the original picture when Subang was first build. There were renovations later and buildings were added around it.

I believe it is the original picture when Subang was first build. There were renovations later and buildings were added around it.

Yes, Capt. This picture was taken when Subang was first build somewhere in the late 60s, judging by the bare surroundings. I would describe Subang as "Airport in the Forest" (half of the "Airport in the Forest, Forest in the Airport" concept adopted in KLIA) by the 90s. And they have more buildings around the terminal. Does anyone here have the picture of the hotel opposite the terminal? The one with the Maybank ATM at the ground floor. Would love to see that again! :D

I found this in Google!

Subang%20airport.jpg

Subang%20ramp.jpg

Photos taken from Tesselar Blog

I have no idea how it looks....that's amazing. Thanks for sharing Ridhwan :clapping:

Cheers, Simon :drinks: Subang is a more glamorous place than KLIA *sings Fergie's "Glamorous" song* :p

What about the plane pictures.

Cheng Kit, if my memory serves me right, Uncle Norman once posted some photos of planes in action when Subang was still designated as KUL. Maybe you can dig up some threads to check it out :p

Used to enjoy the sight of planes taxiing next to the road (after AIROD), a popular spot for families, couples and casual plane spotter back then. ;)

Cheers! :drinks:

Edited by Syed A Ridhwan

Nice pics of the true KUL! Now on the same site, there's a humongous ugly structure. What a pity.

-snip--snip--

Cheng Kit, if my memory serves me right, Uncle Norman once posted some photos of planes in action when Subang was still designated as KUL. Maybe you can dig up some threads to check it out :p

Used to enjoy the sight of planes taxiing next to the road (after AIROD), a popular spot for families, couples and casual plane spotter back then. ;)

Cheers! :drinks:

Yup... here in SZB thread

I'll try to look for more...

Wow look at the KLM, BOAC, QANTAS, etc. check-in counters.... can we say that SZB at that millieu served a range of greater airlines as compared to now?? :nea:

I managed to use SZB twice when I was 1 n 6 y/o :rolleyes: From a picture taken in the departure lounge, the windows were laminated with purplish plastic, just like the one @ PEN.

Edited by Seth K

I still remember this spinnal stairs.. I think either when i still on kindergarden or before it... Me and brother playing chase and run at that stairs... Second time i come, they already close both stairs with playwood for the renovation...

Subang%20ramp.jpg

I still remember before its renovation in the 80s, you can actually hear the engine roaring while you are inside the terminal building, especially during the take-offs. From the open air observation deck, you can see the pax on the tarmac walking up stairs for boarding.

After the renovation, the entire terminal building was enclosed with glass (for air-condition purpose) and it was equiped with aerobridges.

Subang%20airport.jpg

i recalled seeing this scene at one of Tan Sri P Ramlee 's movie , i forgot the name of the movie , but recalled they were about to take a flight bounding for Sabah , which airport i not sure :p

the "thing" on the left side of the picture was the aero bridge during that time right ?

I guess those were the golden days of aviation, the 60s and 70s. The days when only a few can travel by air.

the "thing" on the left side of the picture was the aero bridge during that time right ?

Hehehe, yes that's the ramp. I remember disembarking from a Fokker after a flight from IPH or KBR and walking up that ramp to enter the terminal. :)

i remember there is a KFC too is it? With a big playground, used to play there when i was a kid

Yes, upstairs. Spent a lot of time there waiting for my evening flights to Europe. :)

hahaha , thanks for the clarification dr naim , now i recall my dad told me about the "aerobridge" ........ my memory of SZB are very blurr , i was like below 10 years old when i travel to KL using that terminal , just can recal there arel some fast food restaurant located upstairs , can c the apron right ???

sorry , a lot of question :p , just to remind me of my SUPER DUPER thrill if flying , ( seldom got the chance last time , so when i was travlling with my family , i was very happy ) , kinda lost those feeling now , though my passin for aviation grew larger , i just dunno how to describe my feeling when i was a child . :D

Back then i remember you need to take a bus to get to the apron for widebodies if i remember correctly. The sight of 747s parking in a row is just fantastic!

Back then i remember you need to take a bus to get to the apron for widebodies if i remember correctly. The sight of 747s parking in a row is just fantastic!

Yup! I really enjoyed the bus ride! Especially from Terminal 2. The sight of SQ A300 at the apron next to Terminal 2 and I remember those little F50 parked right in front of the hangar! Occasionally for domestic flights, you'll get to use the aerobridge at Terminal 1 because your aircraft had just returned from destinations outside Malaysia :yahoo: Such a wonderful ride from Terminal 2 all the way to Terminal 1. Geez, those were the days! :(

wow...bring back lots of memories. I remember boarding MH DC-10, Saudi 747 and Emirates AB6 at Terminal 1 and various flights in T2 and T3 in SZB,.

When i was even smaller, my family used to drive all the way from shah alam to the airport to eat in an indian reastaurant across T1, Shiraz (if i remember correctly). And of course the great A&W when there was no fast food joints in Shah Alam. Flying and sending someone to the airport was a family event and we all dressed up and enjoy it very much. I was 10-16 yrs old but yeah good times :)

Subang will always be fondly remembered..... if only Terminal 1 is still there, and the iconic control tower still stands.

The best period of its existence was in the 1970s, as in the pictures above. By the 1980s when the observation deck was closed off, it became a dull place to watch planes.

Louis, the P. Ramlee movie you mentioned is 'Sesudah Suboh', which also shows a Malaysian Airways Comet.

I remember the rubber floors? With the circular bumps? And my MANY MANY flights on the MAS / SIA A300s/727-200s/737-200s...

:D Thats what I remembered too. I remembered the ramps really well and the viewing platform. I don't suppose the ramps are wheelchair accessible ramps :p If they are, then Subang was well ahead of others during her time.

Those were the days when we have to go to my father's hometown in Seremban for a visit almost every year.

Sign in to follow this