MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
BC Tam

AK to do BKI-LBU

AirAsia is to launch flights between Kota Kinabalu and Labuan with fares from as low as RM9. The new route is part of the airline’s strategy to provide more air connectivity to the ‘Land Below The Wind’ and to complement Sabah as the gateway for trade, investment and tourism in the region, specifically under the Sabah Development Corridor.

The new daily flight which will commence on 26 September 2008 is beneficial to foreign visitors as they would have an added entry point from Labuan to get into Kota Kinabalu, the main gateway to Sabah.

Copied and pasted from here

Battling it out for every scrap there is eh ?! :)

This must be the shortest sector..

emm I wounder what type of aircraft AK will use for this sector??I dont think so A320 will be use..

Its AK still use any B737 now??

emm I wounder what type of aircraft AK will use for this sector??I dont think so A320 will be use..

Its AK still use any B737 now??

Yes they're still using their B737.

I really hope they will introduce BKI-BTU, Maswings has dominated this route for long. They're charging high!!

Used to be my favourite sector during my 737 days 15 years ago. Real fun. Used to fly at 1500ft altitude only on visual days.

Airborne, gear up, bug up 320 knots, right turn, call for flaps '0', level off at 1500ft, call for climb checklist and shoot for the barber pole.

After Pulau Tiga ( Survivor Island) call for approach checks followed by part of landing checks. 10DME VJN cut power to idle, at 270knots Gear Down, wait fo 250 knots for flaps all the way down to 15 and intercept Glide Slope Rwy 02 by 3 DME on the ILS.

Personal best was a 13 minute take-off to touch down flight time to cover the 62 nautical mile distance. Breathless, exhilarating, exciting and fulfilling. The F/Os, especially the new ones go wide eyed and normally gets left behind....... Fuel was about USD24 per barrel then....who says there is no fun in airline flying....... :drinks:

Yes they're still using their B737.

I really hope they will introduce BKI-BTU, Maswings has dominated this route for long. They're charging high!!

i also hope for KK-SBW .... <_<

btw.. they increase KK-sandakan to 2 daily n KK-TAWAU 3 daily.

kk tawau route seems profitable....

Personal best was a 13 minute take-off to touch down flight time to cover the 62 nautical mile distance

Ok lah, so you've probably got Captain Radzi beaten in this respect :D

(Please refer below)

I've regularly clocked 16 minutes flight time (airborne time, takeoff to landing) minutes doing LBU-BKI or BKI-LBU. Fast enough?

So, was the 13 minutes stint after a most efficacious vindaloo then - plenty of tail wind ! :p

Edited by BC Tam

Looks like a record that I need to break..... My normal level is 3000 ft LBU-BKI and 4000 ft BKI-LBU. Level off and enjoy the view.

Looks like a record that I need to break..... My normal level is 3000 ft LBU-BKI and 4000 ft BKI-LBU. Level off and enjoy the view.

Don't waste time climbing to 3000ft. You'll lose 1500ft on climb and anothet 1500 on descent. Try the 1500ft cruise. Fly the pole. Aim for extended Rwy 02 at 4 dme. Make sure its VMC all the way. You'll know by 500ft as you can see the Pulau Tiga/Kuala Penyu area and also Mt Kinabalu.

Forget doing it on the BKI LBU sector. Time wasted with a 02 departure out of BKI and a RWY 32 or is it RWY34 landing at LBU.

BTW BC, not much wind at 1500ft altitude.

Edited by Nik H.

Weehee... This thread is offering insight into the lives of pilots--differing operational habits and opinions... Nice one! :clapping:

1500ft... Downwind altitude... Like seeing traffic pattern approach into Rwy 22 at WMKP from the famous Penang Bridge! And this is cruise... :clapping:

Err, not enough time for AK to make extra money by selling food on board. But with AK, who knows they 'll think of something...

I don't think they (F/As) are interested in selling the food though. I was on my flight from BKI-MYY and they simply PA the cabin to tell the passengers call them if they're interested to buy.

I guest the same goes to BKI-TWU & BKI-SDK, as three of these flights are below 1 hour.

Err, not enough time for AK to make extra money by selling food on board. But with AK, who knows they 'll think of something...

They may start charging for their sexy stewardess for this short trip! :clapping:

Edited by EddieDaniel

Used to be my favourite sector during my 737 days 15 years ago. Real fun. Used to fly at 1500ft altitude only on visual days.

Airborne, gear up, bug up 320 knots, right turn, call for flaps '0', level off at 1500ft, call for climb checklist and shoot for the barber pole.

After Pulau Tiga ( Survivor Island) call for approach checks followed by part of landing checks. 10DME VJN cut power to idle, at 270knots Gear Down, wait fo 250 knots for flaps all the way down to 15 and intercept Glide Slope Rwy 02 by 3 DME on the ILS.

Personal best was a 13 minute take-off to touch down flight time to cover the 62 nautical mile distance. Breathless, exhilarating, exciting and fulfilling. The F/Os, especially the new ones go wide eyed and normally gets left behind....... Fuel was about USD24 per barrel then....who says there is no fun in airline flying....... :drinks:

So capts Nik & Radzi, whats the usual cruising IAS? 320kts seems to be redlining it all the way :blink:

AK used to operate SBW-KCH-SBW more than 2 flights previously..Now they only operating 1 flight per day!

BTW BC, not much wind at 1500ft altitude.

Believe me, when they get the spice combinations right in the vindaloo, there will be plenty of wind around, even at sea level :p

MAS/MASwings are doing this route at 5 times a day...AK felt the heat I guess...

Oh..no wonder AK cut down it's frequency to SBW from KCH.Thanks for the info Kenneth.

Guest Rahim Rani

First of all, thank to GOD and second thank to AK for bringing in AK route LBU-BKI. Now I can travel for my class using AK rather than speed boat from menumbok than take bus..it costs me 2-3 hours on the road.

If urgent, I have to fly and pay for about RM 200 something for a sachet of peanuts and orange juice. Now with AK, more added value within....drink before flight, enjoy the sexy stewardess onboard...happy life, stressless...can clean my eyes some more.

Hopefully one day my dream to steer on the left seat on flight may be fulfilled by GOD. Let me do eyes laser treatment 1st, then go and see Tony and tell him you want to be a pilot. I got to hear that one of the AK counter boy who met Tony and told Tony his vision to be a pilot, then Tony realizing his dream by sending him for training...is it true? whose that lucky guy?