MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ashmil Abd Ghani

Malaysian robbers steal cakes, not cash, in botched heist

AFP - Wednesday, August 27

KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 27, 2008 (AFP) - Malaysian robbers ran off with a bag of cakes instead of 1.9 million ringgit (560,000 dollars) in cash, in a botched heist that left a money changer shot and wounded, reports said Wednesday.

In the second robbery to hit Malaysian airports this year, two masked gunmen fired 10 shots at a money changer at northern Penang state's airport, the Star daily reported.

Security guard Zainol Othman, who accompanied the money changer as he got out of a van and placed his personal bags on a trolley, told the paper he fled with the cash when the robbers attacked.

"I knew it was a robbery. The first thought that came to mind was to save the money," he told the Star.

"In the midst of the commotion, the robbers grabbed the money changer's bags, thinking that I had already placed the money bag onto the trolley," he said.

The newspaper said the thieves sped off in a getaway car with the bags, one of which contained mooncakes, a Chinese delicacy.

The money changer was sent to the hospital where he was in a stable condition.

In April, thieves escaped with more than one million dollars after attacking two money changers at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

Serves them right I guess. Well... Mooncake Festival is around the corner so why not? Saves the robbers the hassle of buying some more to pass around.

Serves them right I guess. Well... Mooncake Festival is around the corner so why not? Saves the robbers the hassle of buying some more to pass around.

HAHAHAHA... maybe the robbers want the money to buy mooncakes...

On a more serious note, this is worrying. Robber getting more daring in their act

I have no idea why the money changer bring that much money from PEN to SIN..Why he do with the money at Penang and why the person need to go to SIN??Dont tell me that this person own money changer outlet at PEN and keep the money at SIN..

Any way, I wounder how the money beg will be handle after check in..Its going as normal luggage??

He must have done that quite frequent. Any declaration at the airport?

In Malaysia anything is possible with $$$ to certain people. I think many Malaysians carry forbidden stuff in and out of airports frequently.

I think airports and police should clamp down on illegal stuff including excessive amount of money being transported through airports.Illegal stuff and activities no matter how small eventually attract bad people.

Can carry so much money out of the country?

Why can't? Michael Chia also brought millions of RM out of Msia to launder for Datuk Seri Musa Aman.

Why can't? Michael Chia also brought millions of RM out of Msia to launder for Datuk Seri Musa Aman.

He was caught in Hong Kong...shows how bad our airports are. It is also possible for illegal immigrants to take flights to and from Malaysia with fake passports that some don't even bother making passports even if the could afford to.

Sign in to follow this