MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
dexter

Plane crash in Batu Rakit, Terengganu

Agreed. Most had their CPL I/R before driving license. Nik, you should know the father of the deceased. He is our good friend....I am just speechless..

Innalilah.....

The untimely death of a young man is tragic enough, let alone a promising one. This is a sad news indeed. Al-fatihah. Capt, please send our condolences to the family.

Here is the Friendster profile of the deceased.

May he rest in peace.

Saw his pictures and profile, he seemed like a humble guy. Really sad when seeing his flight photos, and especially him in his cadet uniforms or with his cadet mates. A loss of a son, brother, friend, and future pilot.

Like Walter said, would like to know what had led to this event.

Since they were flying mutual (2 x student pilots with no IP/QFI/CFI),probably they encountered CFIT since no distress call was made by either pilots.

Tragic indeed.

When I was in in the military lost a few friends due to CFIT and a few due to human factors.

mh_08.1.jpg

SETIU 21 Ogos - Pesawat ringan yang dilaporkan hilang ketika dalam latihan penerbangan petang semalam ditemui terhempas di hutan Bukit Bidong di sini pagi ini menyebabkan seorang juruterbang pelatih terbunuh manakala seorang lagi cedera.

Bangkai pesawat berkenaan ditemui pada pukul 7.15 pagi di lereng bukit kira-kira 100 meter dari lapang sasar Polis Diraja Malaysia (PDRM) oleh pasukan mencari dan menyelamat selepas kira-kira dua jam operasi berkenaan disambung pada pukul 5.30 pagi ini.

Timbalan Ketua Polis negeri, Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman berkata, juruterbang yang terbunuh ialah Mohd. Ariff Ahmad Fuad, 20, dari Sungai Buloh, Selangor manakala Mohd. Farid Abdullah, 21, dari Subang Jaya, Selangor cedera di muka dan patah kaki kiri.

Menurut beliau, Mohd. Ariff dipercayai meninggal dunia di tempat kejadian sejurus pesawat terhempas manakala Mohd. Farid pula ditemui kira-kira lapan meter dari bangkai pesawat berkenaan dalam keadaan berlunjur dan meminta tolong.

''Mohd. Ariff ketika ditemui masih berada di tempat duduk pesawat, namun tidak dapat dipastikan tempat duduk juruterbang atau penumpang kerana kedudukan kerusi telah beralih.

''Ini kerana bahagian kokpit hancur manakala ekor tercabut dan terpelanting ke hadapan pesawat," ujarnya ketika ditemui di tempat kejadian hari ini.

Menurutnya, operasi mencari dan menyelamat pagi ini diketuai Supritendan Zahri Hassan melibatkan anggota polis, 13 anggota Pasukan Gerakan Am (PGA), empat anggota Jabatan Pertahanan Awam (JPA3) serta orang kampung.

Katanya, bangkai pesawat itu ditemui di lokasi berkenaan yang terletak kira-kira 38 kilometer dari Lapangan Terbang Sultan Mahmud (LTSM) tempat ia berlepas untuk latihan penerbangan sebelum dilaporkan hilang kira-kira pukul 4.40 petang semalam.

''Anggota PGA yang mula-mula menjumpai bangkai pesawat itu menyentuh tubuh Mohd. Ariff dan mendapati ia sejuk sebelum mendengar suara lemah meminta tolong dari arah kiri pesawat.

''Selepas diperiksa, jeritan itu adalah dari Mohd. Farid yang duduk membelakangkan pesawat," ujarnya.

Beliau memberitahu, keadaan lereng bukit yang curam itu menyukarkan usaha mencari dan membawa keluar mangsa dari kawasan hutan itu.

Jelasnya, mangsa yang cedera dikeluarkan dari lokasi kemalangan dan diterbangkan dengan pesawat Nuri milik Tentera Udara Diraja Malaysia (TUDM) ke Hospital Sultanah Nur Zahirah (HSNZ), Kuala Terengganu untuk rawatan.

Mayat Mohd. Ariff juga dihantar ke HSNZ untuk bedah siasat.

Menurutnya, bangkai pesawat milik sekolah penerbangan HM Aerospace Sdn. Bhd. berpangkalan di Langkawi, Kedah itu akan diserahkan kepada Jabatan Penerbangan Awam untuk siasatan lanjut.

al-fatihah :sorry: and condolence to their family...........

what bothers me, one is 20 and one is 21 ..where's their insturctor :blink:

Minimum age to hold a PPL is 17 years old. I got my PPL at the age of 18 and flew with flying club for almost a year before joining flying academy for CPL course. In fact a friend of mine already a jumbo co pilot at the age of 21. So age is not a matter here.

The risks is always there and when one sign up for the flying course, he/she is aware of the danger.

However, the rising no of accidents from HMA is very alarming for a new flying school.

most of us clear our 1st solo at about +/- 15 hours of actual flying with an instructor. and then maybe another 6-12 hours before we are cleared to fly solo in the training area. and then +/- 15 hours before we go for PPL test.

after the initial PPL stage, 80% of the remaining flights are either SOLO flights, or MUTUAL(At this stage, both pilots should have at least PPL) until about 165hours. and then another 35 hours of Multi-Engine Flying and Instrument Rating. 165 + 35 = 200hours = CPL/MeIR

CPL/MeIR - The whole training of 200 hours consists of 100hours SOLO/Mutual , 100hours DUAL(instructor)

Private Pilot's License - the Holder is qualified to act as the Pilot-In-Command(can carry pax but not for commercial purposes)) on the type of Light aircraft that he is rated on. PPL-exam tests the student pilot on his ability to Take-Off/Land safely, fly safely, situational awareness, and ability to handle InFlight Emergencies.

CPL-exam is identical to the PPL-exam, except that the tolerance for error is lower now compared to PPL.

IR(intrument rating) - this rating allows the pilot to fly from A-B by only looking at their instrument. they only look outside during take-off/landing.

Multi-Engine Rating - allows the pilot to fly a multi-engined aircraft

this has been the "standard" syllabus all over the world.

your may be surprised to find that some really talented kids at 17/18 yrs of age can clear solo with only 6-8 hours of real flying experience.

if you walk into the cockpit or a modern jetliner, you may be surprise to find that the one sitting on the right is only 19-20 yrs of age, and in some sectors they are doing all the flying while the captain will just monitor.

Age doesn't matter, i think what matters is the basic training that they receive during their PPL stage.

My deepest condolences to the family of Ariff.

Edited by fillet

It's sad to see the photo he taken at the Batu Rakit himself when he was flying there last time..He posted that photo in his friendster profile and now he crashed at there..R.I.P :(

Since they were flying mutual (2 x student pilots with no IP/QFI/CFI),probably they encountered CFIT since no distress call was made by either pilots.

Tragic indeed.

When I was in in the military lost a few friends due to CFIT and a few due to human factors.

During mutual flights the safety pilot should be fully visual and able to take control whenever necessary. Also, there must be a certain minimum altitude they should follow; at least 500 ft AGL and most likely 1000 ft for instrument flying. I believe mutual flights are classified as instrument flying since the PIC will be under the hood. I think CFIT is very unlikely for civilian flying as long as the rules are followed rigorously.

CFIT = controlled flight into terrain, which means aircraft was fully controllable but still impacted the terrain. And then the press will call it pilot error. :(

Human Error ??? :angry:

Plane Problem ??? :angry:

Anything to do with weather ??? :angry:

Due to the reason incident occured in HM Aerospace

It there any way for the authority to give a report on this? I believe that this kind of small plane's do not have black box...

On that particular afternoon, the weather there was not quite favorable for training as I was told. All trainees of Asia Pac Kota Bharu who were flying at training areas was instructed to return back to base. On the other hand, the HMA Diamonds also suffered quite a number of maintenance history recently. Probably the old faithfuls like Cessna and Piper should be revisited by flying schools.

Ariff is one of the nicest guys I knew in HMA, he's dad is En Fuad, use to fly 737, grounded due to medical, he now teaches ground school in MAS. Ariff was the safety pilot. He passed away on impact. Farid was the PIC. He's going for surgery today.

I attended ariff's funeral & burial. I have deep respect for his batch mates. Every single one of them flew in from either LGK or TGG on their own expense for his final wrights. There were many HMA seniors who have left the school who also attended. These people came to pay tribute to a good human being & brought a dignified meaning to what comradeship is.

What happen has happened. DCA has taken over the investigation. I am appealing to all not to make any assumptions on what happen, his family, his batch mates, his friends and HMA are mourning him and praying for Farid. Let us not speculate, I?m sure the truth will eventually surface.

A good man has passed on, a friend of mine battles for his life. I spent a few hours chatting with Farid in the ops room the day Farid left for TGG. This event has reminded me of how precious life is and how short it can be.

But life will continue, in LGK, flying has resumed. His batch mates will find the strength to continue and complete I hope. Let us pray......for I shall remember a good man, and hope for the best for a friend who battles for his life.

I was in TGG and came back on FY F50 just now ( 2300 25th Aug 2008 ). i was there for a meeting on the Hajj flights from TGG.

Took some time of to go to TGG GH Ward 7A Room 5 and visited Farid there. There was also a Lady cadet Pilot there. ( Farid's batchmate; can't remember her name )

He is in good spirits, fully concious and in some pain. I told him pain is Good as it means all his nerves and senses are in order. He sustained two broken ankles, both of which are in traction. There is a single rib fracture and he had some minor lacerations on his upper body, arms and face. His left cheekbone was chipped, and there was some injury to his left eye. He is worried about his flight training but I just told him to concentrate on his recovery as that is the most important for now. I also mentioned to him that most MWingers are concerned about his recovery and most are praying for his speedy return to normal health.

He will be transferred to KL for further treatment in the next couple of days. i hope his road to full recovery will be a swift and trouble free one as like him, I too would like to see him in the right seat of a B737 wearing MH uniform soon.

On that particular afternoon, the weather there was not quite favorable for training as I was told. All trainees of Asia Pac Kota Bharu who were flying at training areas was instructed to return back to base. On the other hand, the HMA Diamonds also suffered quite a number of maintenance history recently. Probably the old faithfuls like Cessna and Piper should be revisited by flying schools.

Don't know about factors leading to the accident.

But I tend to agree with Capt Norhisham's comment about the old faithfuls from the mainstream manufacturers like Cessna, Piper and Beechcraft. The singles from these companies are extremely vice free and very good for basic training. In our training days, we thrashed the daylights out of the aircraft and we all mostly emerged unscathed.

28 years ago....thrashing around the sky in the name of 'training'

19810311aa.jpg

19810311d.jpg

19810318c.jpg

19810318da.jpg

nice pix capt nik.

the Lady cadet pilot was erni..

Ariff is a very good guy. May Allah bless him. Al-Fatihah.

Minimum age to hold a PPL is 17 years old. I got my PPL at the age of 18 and flew with flying club for almost a year before joining flying academy for CPL course. In fact a friend of mine already a jumbo co pilot at the age of 21. So age is not a matter here.

Sure, a kid can fly a jumbo, but I have an issue with maturity+experience at that tender age, esp. when responsible for hundreds of lives and a 250-mil-US-dollar machine. Heck, at 21 I was calculating the critical mass of Uranium-235 for a fission bomb. :)

Sure, a kid can fly a jumbo, but I have an issue with maturity+experience at that tender age, esp. when responsible for hundreds of lives and a 250-mil-US-dollar machine. Heck, at 21 I was calculating the critical mass of Uranium-235 for a fission bomb. :)

at least these young flyboys are responsible aviators, not mat rempits :)

at least these young flyboys are responsible aviators, not mat rempits :)

Hehehe ... I have a good friend who's a 777 captain and he says when taking off, the roar of the huge engines and the accompanying vibrations make him feel like the greatest matrempit ever. :D

Nik, nice pics of Piper Tomahawks PA-28-112, those days they're the best...

Real fun planes alright.

19810311b.jpg

19810311e.jpg

19810318d.jpg

19810318b.jpg

Doc, I somehow do not see any lacking of maturity when i fly with the youngsters that has an adverse effect on their flying skills. On a personal level there may be but I feel equally at home flying with a young boy or an older person with the same flight experience.

As we are drifting away from the topic title, this line of discussion came about when someone posted about 21 / 20 year old boys flying in the trainer plane without instructors.

Doc, I somehow do not see any lacking of maturity when i fly with the youngsters that has an adverse effect on their flying skills. On a personal level there may be but I feel equally at home flying with a young boy or an older person with the same flight experience.

As we are drifting away from the topic title, this line of discussion came about when someone posted about 21 / 20 year old boys flying in the trainer plane without instructors.

I believe you, Skipper, but then I still have to fly and cannot choose the drivers. :)

And yes, we have digressed quite a bit. Apologies.

I was in TGG and came back on FY F50 just now ( 2300 25th Aug 2008 ). i was there for a meeting on the Hajj flights from TGG.

Took some time of to go to TGG GH Ward 7A Room 5 and visited Farid there. There was also a Lady cadet Pilot there. ( Farid's batchmate; can't remember her name )

He is in good spirits, fully concious and in some pain. I told him pain is Good as it means all his nerves and senses are in order. He sustained two broken ankles, both of which are in traction. There is a single rib fracture and he had some minor lacerations on his upper body, arms and face. His left cheekbone was chipped, and there was some injury to his left eye. He is worried about his flight training but I just told him to concentrate on his recovery as that is the most important for now. I also mentioned to him that most MWingers are concerned about his recovery and most are praying for his speedy return to normal health.

He will be transferred to KL for further treatment in the next couple of days. i hope his road to full recovery will be a swift and trouble free one as like him, I too would like to see him in the right seat of a B737 wearing MH uniform soon.

Good and nice word Capt Nik..I hope he more motivate if he have oppurtunity to read your statement Capt Nik..

We can pay a visit to him once he at KL for treatment..We all pray for his recovery and resume his training flight soon.. Amin..

Sign in to follow this