MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Charenjit Gill

Kota Kinabalu International Airport to open tomorrow

What is going to happen to T2 then, who is/are going to use it?

Apparently going to be the nation's most elaborate air cargo terminal, complete with VIP hall

Functionality as an actual air cargo terminal is obviously of secondary concern, if at all a concern to start with

Edited by BC Tam

Apparently going to be the nation's most elaborate air cargo terminal, complete with VIP hall

Functionality as an actual air cargo terminal is obviously of secondary concern, if at all a concern to start with

The best part is, Malaysians/ Sabahan will be content to any kind of grand plans like this!

if i not mistaken, the VIP hall will eventually move back to T1. notice the NEW VIP Departure gate at the end of departure level.

if i not mistaken, the VIP hall will eventually move back to T1. notice the NEW VIP Departure gate at the end of departure level.

Yes, hall is named Seri Kinabalu, with three lounges - Kinabalu, Sipadan and Tenom apparently

Makes you wonder why BKI attracts such a high volume of VIP traffic

Either that or we have a higher than normal portion of the population here claiming to be VIP's :rolleyes:

The best part is, Malaysians/ Sabahan will be content to any kind of grand plans like this!

True, many are still mesmerized by claims of

"tercanggih" (most advanced)

"second biggest in Malaysia after KLIA"

"second busiest in Malaysia after KLIA"

:)

Another Extension Likely For KKIA Upgrading Project

KOTA KINABALU, April 30 (Bernama) -- With less than a month to go and only 86 per cent completed, upgrading works for the runway of the Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) is likely to face a snag.

This would be in the form of a further delay and the need for another extension of time.

Previously, upgrading works were also delayed due to various reasons, said Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Rahim Bakri.

"Extension of time (EOT) should expire by May...I don't know if the contractor would be given another extension, depends on the project management consultant (KLIA Consultancy Services Sdn Bhd), they will make the recommendation based on their judgement before submitting to the transport ministry.

"If the ministry is satisfied and the request for another EOT is legitimate, then only can it be given," he told reporters after a meeting on pirated taxis with related agencies here on Friday.

Abdul Rahim said this when asked to comment on the progress of Package 2 -- the airport's expansion project comprising the runway and other supporting facilities element.

He said the three main reasons given were delay in obtaining sites from land owners involved, environmental issues such as the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) report on reclamation works that might affect Petagas River there, and charter flights coming in even after midnight.

"We are also allowing charter flights to come, especially from midnight to 6am, when usually this is the time you close the runway so the contractor could really work on it...this gives the contractor reason to get extension of time again.

"That's why we decided in last month's meeting which included the state tourism, that we will have a suspension of charter flights during that period and it will take effect until the completion of the runway. We do not want any more excuses," he added.

When contacted, KLIA Consultancy Services project manager Mohd Fadhil Ramli said the dateline of the latest EOT is on May 19, and confirmed that another EOT application was made by the contractor, Global Upline Sdn Bhd.

"However, it is still on the ministry's consideration whether or not it will be approved," he said, declining to disclose the period of extension requested.

This would be the third request for time extension, where the original timeline for Package 2 completion was April last year.

Meanwhile, Abdul Rahim said Package 1 (redevelopment of KKIA Terminal building) was 99.8 per cent completed and the contractor, WCT Sdn Bhd, was expected to make a handover to Malaysia Airports Bhd soon.

-- BERNAMA

Source : http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsgeneral.php?id=494763

IIRC GUSB was the contractor responsible for the speedy construction/renovation of the current T2.

We are also allowing charter flights to come, especially from midnight to 6am, when usually this is the time you close the runway so the contractor could really work on it...this gives the contractor reason to get extension of time again.

Wow, how many charter flights have we been welcoming at BKI recently ? More specifically, how many nights/mornings worth of lost work have there been ?

Even if 1 day delay = 1 charter flight, our KK resident hard core spotters like Sam and Wai Ping will likely have been deprived of sleep over the last year or so :p

Excuses, excuses :angry:

Charter coming in at night is a big issue cause can't take nice photos there at night. :p

KK Airport back to normalcy by May 1, pledges Kong

Published on: Sunday, March 18, 2012

Kota Kinabalu: The Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) will resume 24-hour daily operations by May 1 with full completion of upgrading works on its present 792-metre long runway scheduled for end of next month.

The latest in a series of assurances stretching to last year came from Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha himself, saying all the parties concerned, including the contractor involved, have agreed upon the deadline.

read the rest here: http://www.dailyexpr...fm?NewsID=81015

Interesting fact about BKI's runway ;)

Also interesting is fact that they have finally "agreed upon the deadline" after all these years (six I believe) - despite all the warnings and threats previously :)

Edited by BC Tam

Looks like MAHB cannot even manage a simple single runway airport project effectively. And they are planning to increase airport fees? The Minister should be thinking of breaking up the MAHB monopoly!

Looks like MAHB cannot even manage a simple single runway airport project effectively. And they are planning to increase airport fees? The Minister should be thinking of breaking up the MAHB monopoly!

With all that we have discussed before this I think we can agree that those up there are not doing their job properly.

I don't think you can put the blame entirely on MAHB in this matter. It seems they did just fine with the projects in KCH, BTU, MYY etc. There must be other reasons why the BKI project is in such a mess and I think we know why too. The airport is actually a safety hazard and let us thank the professionalism of all the pilots operating into BKI that nothing untowards has happened until now.

I remember few years back there was a dispute for the piece of land at the end of RWY 20 ( or was it RWY 02?) with the horse racing owner. I believe this might contribute to the delay. Not to mention, the main contractor for the BKI runway and taxiway extension is Global Upline Sdn Bhd and I think everyone know what happen to GUSB.

Global Upline has definitely done a bad job! Kuching's runway extension was completed with the runway surface non-flat and in results causing many jets experiencing harsh landing frequently... The departure hall tiles were also found broken and when you actually stepped on them, you could feel it was literally empty beneath the tiles.