MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
M. Sofian H.

MH 2nd Best In The World

European, Asian Giants Dominate AVIATION WEEK Airline Rankings

Last update: 6:26 p.m. EDT Aug. 11, 2008

NEW YORK, Aug 11, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- AVIATION WEEK's latest Top-Performing Companies (TPC) report focuses on the global airline industry, revealing which carriers are in the best shape to prevail against the daunting economic challenges they face.

TPC project manager Michael Lowry used proprietary formulas to rank airlines in three categories. The metrics have been significantly revised this year to place more emphasis on survivability, reflecting the headaches airlines face through soaring fuel costs and faltering demand. The TPC feature is highlighted in this week's issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology. Articles written by Adrian Schofield and James Ott explain the rankings and identify underlying industry trends.

The TPC study shows that the best of the Asia-Pacific and European airlines are head and shoulders above their peers among the major legacy carriers, with Singapore Airlines again at the top of the list and Malaysia Airlines improving the most. The U.S. majors, meanwhile, are entrenched in the bottom half of the table. "The gap between the Asian and European top performers and the U.S. airlines has only grown larger over the past year," the article says. Other ranking categories cover low-cost and regional airlines, and the major cargo carriers.

In addition, Lowry has put together a list of five U.S. airlines that are at the greatest risk of filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection over the next two years. The article also explains what airline actions can reduce bankruptcy risk.

The best-performing airlines in each category feature strong liquidity, good financial health, cost discipline and a focus on efficiency.

Top Ten Major Legacy Airlines:

1. Singapore Airlines

2. Malaysian Airline System Berhad

3. Iberia Lineas Aereas de Espana S.A.

4. Aer Lingus Group PLC

5. Deutsche Lufthansa AG

6. Qantas Airways Ltd.

7. Finnair Oyj

8. Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd.

9. British Airways PLC

10. AIR FRANCE KLM Group

Top Ten Low-Cost/Regional Airlines:

1. Ryanair Holdings plc

2. easyJet plc

3. Allegiant Travel Company

4. Hainan Airlines Co. Ltd.

5. Southwest Airlines Co.

6. Transat A.T. Inc.

7. AirAsia Berhad

8. Copa Holdings, S.A.

9. WestJet Airlines Ltd.

10. Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA

The United Parcel Service, Inc. was the highest ranked freight carrier.

Congrat MH

Note that this means should there be an airline-equivalent of a financial-doomsday, MH will continue to fly. It does not mean that MH is second best in the world in terms of products and services.

This is recognition that MH is no longer in the doldrums, financially speaking.

Congratulation to MH. Now all the hard works (BTPs, snackboxes, staff reduction, paycut/allowance reduction etc) paid off. The way I interpret the ranking is that should all airlines in the world but 2 went bankrupt, MH will be one of them, together with SQ. That's really something.

Hopefully MH will continue to prosper and improve more (as revealed by Radzi, there are still some departments which are overstaffed and redundant in function, which need to be trimmed off). I also see some avenues where MH can reduce cost further, like the accommodation costs for crew layover and such. I don't think in this new era of skyrocketing fuel cost, putting crew in 5 star establishments abroad is a wise action. The difference of hardwares between a 5 star hotel and a 4 star is barely identifiable, but the cost difference is significant. Will we see MH further resort to a 3 star establishment or Tune Hotels perhaps?Cabin crew should share rooms too during layover!

..... should there be an airline-equivalent of a financial-doomsday, MH will continue to fly .....

I thought we've way earlier (in another thread) already arrived quite firmly at this conclusion ? :)

No need for fanciful reports or surveys required to augment this no-brainer :D

if Iberia is 3rd, than this gives quite a good impression of the research results.

Iberia is probably the worst european non-low-cost airline. Unpunctual, unfriendly, no service at all on intra-european flights (not even a drink!).

if Iberia is 3rd, than this gives quite a good impression of the research results.

Iberia is probably the worst european non-low-cost airline. Unpunctual, unfriendly, no service at all on intra-european flights (not even a drink!).

The survey was about the financial status of airlines, not their product.

Congratulation to MAS also not forget to mention to Datuk Seri Idris Jala and his team for hard work to make MAS still fly today..Yes I believe MAS still some room to improve their revenue but in same line improve thier brand also inflight product..

It hard to improve/introduce something new in same time they face critical financial problems..Keep MAS in good track record to Datuk IJ and his team, we as Malaysian proud with your achievement..

I also see some avenues where MH can reduce cost further, like the accommodation costs for crew layover and such. I don't think in this new era of skyrocketing fuel cost, putting crew in 5 star establishments abroad is a wise action.

I don't think that is a wise action to do, or to even think about, especially when talking about "Best in the Word" scenario and such. Compared with similar airlines in the list MH crew has the least benefit and among the lowest paid. Ever heard of pay peanuts, get monkeys scenario?

did Skytrax awards totally based on passenger survey?

I'm very proud with malaysia airlines.

Since from first quarter (FY01) MH still can gain profit

and the same time Cathay loss US$84.95mil

Cathay, which owns regional carrier Dragonair and has an 18.1% stake in mainland carrier Air China, posted a January-June net loss of HK$663mil (US$84.95mil) versus HK$2.58bil in profit a year earlier. Three analysts polled by Reuters has predicted average profit of HK$913mil, while UBS had expected a HK$400mil loss.

awards mean nothing in this industry....

Bragging rights ? :p

See all those banners strung up all over KUL ?

And the AK flying advert with secondary function of transporting pax from point A to B ? :)

awards means a lot to us, :D we have been conditioned since young by society, it is also a form of recognition...

datukships, oscars, fiabci, KLIA awards, dean's list, employee of the year, month, week....

(They also come in all shapes and sizes...)

I dont mean to protect or glorify Malaysia Airlines.

There is much we have to doubt about the reliability and the transparency of Skytrax. They seem to be very biased and certain airports/airlines are overated and some airlines are underrated.

There is much we have to doubt about the reliability and the transparency of Skytrax. They seem to be very biased and certain airports/airlines are overated and some airlines are underrated.

I dont know how the grading was conducted but somehow, MH overall product should had deteriorated so it's indeed a suprise to find out

that MH is still doing very well... :rolleyes:

but then again MH has fared well in previous years continuously with skytrax...

so are most better rated airlines, they are not 100% covered but you see most of the top performers in general...

even with doubts and biasness they entail - skytrax has created a lot of awareness for people worldwide in general with their results...

MH has done well financially - now its time to enhance their products...

Despite the low level of service provided by IB on all fronts, this airline is actually one of the most profitable airline around today; and this includes many of their subsidiaries such as their MRO business.

Bragging rights ? :p

See all those banners strung up all over KUL ?

And the AK flying advert with secondary function of transporting pax from point A to B ? :)

Of course it means a lot to airlines, sure it's great to see those huge banners "world best" at immigration area @KLIA but how many actually look at that ad. and decide to fly MH? It's great to look at the MH's adv. but somehow next thing I know I'm onboard Emirates. Sumbody said before, the prestige of flying was long gone, almost all just want to get from A to B with descent service will do just fine. Emirates rank 9th yet they are doing better than MH.

World's best cabin crew and second best is just a title, in reality the gap is minute small. Btw, how many minutes you spent with the cabin crew? welcome u onboard, meals and general questions...that's 10 minutes out of the 14 hours flight, unless if u want to chat with the stewardess no doubt MH is doing great with that field. But who fly to chat with stewardess? haha

Best economy class? MH beats EK.... :rolleyes: proved the credibility of skytrash lol

IB also up there???? what a complete joke...

Edited by Seth K

But who fly to chat with stewardess? haha

Yes, haha indeed - for sure you'll find no shortage of volunteers here :)

.... :rolleyes: proved the credibility of skytrash lol

Ironic isn't it that you don't see primary award winner publicizing its triumph but those winning secondary awards trumpeting it about, albeit with tiny qualifying words accompanying :)

World's best cabin crew and second best is just a title, in reality the gap is minute small. Btw, how many minutes you spent with the cabin crew? welcome u onboard, meals and general questions...that's 10 minutes out of the 14 hours flight, unless if u want to chat with the stewardess no doubt MH is doing great with that field. But who fly to chat with stewardess? haha

Good and funny statement here.. :lol: :lol: What make a person remain and loyal to an airlines mainly because their service also the fare..According to Capt. Radzi, salary of MAS cabin crew not that high and still last year this nice small cabin crew can bit world famous airlines around world..But winning this award not give too much impact on MAS P&L account but more on a person who turning and overcome financial problems..Same like MAS winning/awarded Coveted ATW's Phoenix Award..Did you ever see this award name/title show at KLIA or at Immigration Counter??No for sure..

But winning on Skytrax really give impact to MAS..

Sign in to follow this